Monday 10 December 2012

More Waxwings

A flock of Waxwings has been frequenting St. Giles churchyard in central Oxford on and off for a while now. They were there for a few days just over a week ago and I managed to see them on several occasions but only managed some very crummy photos taken in the gloomy half light that was prevailing at that time. However after an absence of a week or so they were reported again on Friday morning - what's more it was a gloriously sunny morning. After a hard week wrestling with the twist and turns of the financial markets I felt that I really needed a break. I therefore chose to take some time off to nip down into town on foot to see if I could get some better photos. There I met a couple of photographers (whom I didn't know but who turned out to belong to the Oxford Photographic Society) staking out the berry tree next to the memorial. Incidentally, I'd love to know what species of tree it is if anyone knows (see the photos below). I joined them and a short while later the Waxwings flew back in and almost immediately descended on the tree to indulge in a berry feeding frenzy for several minutes before someone spooked them all back up into their tree. They didn't really hang around after that though I did spot the odd one or two in the churchyard itself for a while. Still I had managed to take a few photos in actual sunlight (a first for Waxwing photos for me!). I just can't get enough of these gorgeous birds.






Not SLR  quality but they came out well enough using my Canon SX 30is super-zoom.

No comments: